Health & Wellness
Kale Waldorf Salad
This variation on the classic Waldorf salad uses kale instead of lettuce and adds apple and walnuts to the dressing for a creamy consistency, without using the typical mayonnaise base.
- 4 cups packed finely chopped raw kale, preferably dinosaur kale
- 1 large red apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, chopped, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
Place kale in a large bowl. Add half of the apple to kale along with celery, ¼ cup of the walnuts and ¼ cup of the raisins. Put remaining apple in a blender along with remaining ¼ cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, 2 tablespoons water, vinegar and salt. Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding more water if needed to thin. Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.
Per Serving: 140 calories (60 from fat), 7g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 3g protein
Special Diets: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Low Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Wheat Free